Adding a new early help record

Note: If you don't see this page, this means that this is turned off in your Software Settings, see our help topic, Managing your Safeguard Record Manager software settings.


  1. In the Search box, type the student's name and click Search. You can search with part or all of the student's name. For example, if you want to search for Gary Barnett, you can type in Gary and all the students with this name appear in the results table.
    • If you can't find the student, check that you are searching for the correct name. On Record Manager, we use the students legal name, not their known by name.
    • If you still can't find the student, make sure that they are on-roll, have a valid non-temporary UPN, and are not pending transfer from another school. You might need to speak to your designated safeguarding lead (DSL) about this.
  2. In the Results table, find the student that you want to create a new concern for and in the Actions column, click Create.
  3. On the next page, under the School Based Early Help section, in the Early Help box, click Log.
  4. On the New Early Help Entry for {student's name} page:
    1. Under the Categories section, select those that apply and in the Details box, type a description of the early help entry.
    2. In the Was there any other members of staff involved? box, type the name of any other staff members involved and if any other students were involved.
    3. If the incident applies to the family and the student has siblings at the same school, you can select to Include Siblings on this concern. To replicate this concern on the siblings records too, click the No toggle so that it says Yes.
    4. From the Notify Staff list, select the staff members to notify. This sends the staff member an email to say that they have a notification to read.
    5. If you want to change when the record shows on the chronology, click Manual Date and from the date picker select when you want this to show.
    6. Click Create Early Help Entry.

Follow-up Tasks

  • Once you added a record of needing early help for a student, you can then, if needs be, refer the student to an agency, see our help topic, Referring a student to an agency.