Testing the failover
- Adding a connection to the heartbeat interface.
- Setting up the failover in the primary Smoothwall.
- Generating a failover archive.
- Setting up the failover unit with the failover archive.
- In the primary Smoothwall, on the SYSTEM menu, under the Hardware submenu, click Failover.
- Click Enter standby mode. After a short period of time the failover unit takes over from the primary system.
If Auto failback is turned on, rebooting the primary system forces the failover unit into standby mode. However, if Auto failback isn't turned on, when the failover unit's in operation but the primary system has become available again, you can manually failback to the primary system.
To restore operations to the primary system:
- Within the failover system, on the SYSTEM menu, under the Hardware submenu, click Failover.
- Click Enter standby mode. Operations are transferred back to the primary system.