Adding interfaces for Connect Filter
- Check that you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 installed.
- Add an Active Directory connection to your Smoothwall Filter, see our help topic, Adding an Active Directory. The Windows clients and devices running Connect Filter for Windows must be connected to the same domain as this Smoothwall, or a domain that's trusted by the domain the Smoothwall Filter is in.
- We recommend that you create a Group Policy Objects (GPOs) within your Active Directory configuration to prevent users from changing the device's proxy settings, that could bypass the Smoothwall Filter. Refer to your Active Directory's documentation.
- On the GUARDIAN menu, under the Client interfaces submenu, click Connect Filter.
- Click Add interface and from the Interface list, select the relevant interface.
- For the Port, enter a TCP port number between 1 and 65535, inclusive, which all devices that have the Connect Filter installed can access. We recommend that you use port 80 or 443, but you must make sure that the interface and port combination is available and not in use elsewhere on the Smoothwall Filter.
- Enter a descriptive Comment and click Save changes.
- You must turn on the Mobile Proxy feature on your Smoothwall before installing Connect Filter on your devices. This turns on proxy authentication for Connect Filter users, see our help topic, Managing the mobile proxy, see our help topic, Managing the mobile proxy.
- Add any proxy exceptions, for example, those domains, hosts, or IP addresses that are used by the client devices, but don't need to go through the Smoothwall Filter proxy server, for example, those hosts serving Windows' updates, see our help topic, Configuring proxy exceptions.
- Install the Connect Filter on each device on your network. Smoothwall support can provide you with the installation file.