Creating the secondary tunnel specification
- In the secondary system, on the NETWORK menu, under the VPN submenu, click IPsec subnets.
- Under the Create new tunnel section select these settings:
- Name: "A descriptive name for this tunnel."
- Enabled: "Yes"
- Local IP: "The external Local IP address to use for this tunnel."
- Local network: "The local network that the primary system can access."
- In the IP address/network mask format. It should correspond to an existing local network, for example: 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0.
- Local ID type: "The Local IP that identifies the primary system to the secondary system by using the local IP address of the primary system’s external IP address."
- Local ID value: "Empty"
- This means that it will be generated automatically. This is because the Local IP was chosen as the Local ID type.
- Remote IP or hostname: "The primary system's remote IP or hose name."
- Unlike the first tunnel specification, this can't remain blank. The secondary system acts as the initiator of the connection. Therefore, it needs a destination IP address to make first contact.
- Remote network : "The primary system's remote network that the secondary system can access."
- Type this in the IP address/network mask format, for example, 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0. It should correspond to an existing local network.
- Remote ID type: "Remote IP (or ANY if blank Remote IP)"
- This means that the primary system can use the secondary's IP address (if one was specified).
- Remote ID value : The secondary system's remote ID value
- Authenticate by: "Preshared Key"
- This instructs the Smoothwall to authenticate the secondary system by validating a shared pass-phrase.
- Preshared Key "The pass-phrase that was entered for the Preshared Key in the primary system."
- Use compression: "If compression was turned on in the primary system, select this option."
- Initiate the connection: "If it's the responsibility of the secondary system to initiate its connection to the primary Smoothwall, select this option."
- Enter a descriptive Comment, for example, "Tunnel to Head Office" and click Add.
All advanced settings can safely remain set to their default values.