Configuring the web proxy
- On your users’ devices, configure the web browser to use port 800 on the Guardian module as the web proxy, that is, a nontransparent proxy.
- On the WEB PROXY menu, under the Web proxy submenu, click Settings.
- To deploy the web proxy, you need to make sure that under the Global option section, for Guardian, you select "Enable".
- To configure the web proxy, under the Available proxy settings section, click Advanced ».
- Under the Web filter options section:
- Select if you want to allow unlimited uploads, block all uploads or restrict upload size to a certain number of kilobytes, and enter the number of Kbytes.
- Enable each of the options if you want:
- Block advanced proxy bypass attempts.
- Resume interrupted NTLM connections.
- Resolve single component host names.
- Server persistent connections.
- Via header.
- Honor incoming X-Forwarded-For. - To take the client IP address from the X-Forwarded-For header, inserted by downstream proxy or load balancer.
- If you want access to servers running on non-standard ports, enter them and to add them to the list on your keyboard press Return.
- Under the Logging options section:
- Select if you want to Enable Proxy logging.
- Enter an Organization name and from the Filtering logging mode list, select a mode.
- Select if you want to log Client hostnames, Client user-agents, Advert blocks and Local accesses.
- Under the Cache options section:
- Enter the Global cache size for disk space that you want to allocate for caching web content.
- Enter the Max and min object size that can be stored in the cache.
- Enter the Max object size that can pass in and out of the proxy.
- In the Do not cache these domains, enter the domains that should be excluded from the web cache.
- Under the Internet Cache Protocol (ICP) section:
- If you want to allow ICP compatible proxies to query Guardian's cache, for the ICP server select the Enable option.
- Enter the ICP server IP addresses of other ICP-enabled proxies on the LAN that the Smoothwall Filter should query, and press Enter on your keyboard to add it to the list.
- Under the Load balancing section:
- If your Smoothwall solution makes use of a load balancer, enter the virtual IP address to add it to the list and on your keyboard press Return.
- To save your changes, click Save.
- To restart the web proxy, click Save and restart or Save and restart with cleared cache.
Tip: Always perform a proxy service restart to make sure that changes are reflected correctly in the proxy server configuration.
- Test that on a user’s device, when you go to http://thepiratebay.se/, that the Smoothwall blocks access to the site and displays a block page.
You can edit the default policies and create new policies to suit your organization.