Allowing a remote connection to the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall
To connect to the Smoothwall via remote SSH, make sure that:
- The host is from a valid network zone and a valid source IP.
- The SSH service must be enabled.
- The setup or root username and password must be known.
- On the SYSTEM menu, under the Administration submenu, click Admin options.
- To allow access to the Smoothwall via remote SSH, under the Remote access section, select the SSH option.
- To allow Smoothwall Support representatives to remotely connect to your Smoothwall for diagnostic purposes, under the Remote access section, select the Remote Support SSH option.
- To add a welcome message for SSH users after they have logged into their SSH session, from the Welcome messages section, add appropriate text to the top box. To review the message, sign in to your Smoothwall Filter and Firewall using an SSH client.
- To add a message when users sign in to the Smoothwall Filter and Firewall user interface, under the Welcome messages section, add additional content to the bottom box.
WARNING: Do not select this option unless requested to do so by Smoothwall support.
- Click Save.
Note: Terminal access to the Smoothwall uses the non-standard port 222.
- You can connect to your Smoothwall Filter and Firewall using an SSH client such as PuTTY. Use these settings:
- Host Name or IP address: Your Smoothwall Filter and Firewall
- Port: 22
- Protocol: SSH
- Login: Root and password
- On closure of the support request, you should turn off remote access by clearing the option.